Uzbekistan and ADB discuss issues of public-private partnership in education
Tashkent, Uzbekistan (UzDaily.com) -- On 7 May 2019, the Ministry of Finance hosted a meeting with representatives of the Asian Development Bank on the theme “Public-private partnership in education”.
The parties discussed the use of PPP opportunities for sector capacity development. The sides considered the main documents governing this area and analysis of the most popular mechanisms of PPP in the Uzbek education.
Particular attention was paid to the three most famous forms of public-private partnership - contract, social interaction and institutional, as well as their main characteristics. For example, the first form includes the following activities: joint financial support of universities from the government and business, cooperation with universities in conducting research, experiments, internships, seminars and conferences, the creation of research centers, infrastructure development, and the allocation of private sector grants, scholarships for teachers and students, educational loans on preferential terms.
The parties discussed issues related to the increase in PPP projects in the field of public education and pre-school education. It was emphasized that it is necessary to build new schools and kindergartens for public education and pre-school education, the reconstruction of existing and implementation of joint projects in this direction.
The need to form a database of PPPs in the ministries of public education, pre-school education and in relevant ministries and departments was also noted. Exchange of views on the current state of existing schools, the number of students, problems and needs in this area. As already mentioned, it is necessary to create a favorable ecosystem for PPP activities. It is important to conduct work aimed at effective cooperation between the private sector and the state. It is necessary to identify potential investors and implement their projects. And most importantly, PPP should be based on a certain plan.
- PPP is estimated here as one of the main directions of development of the socio-economic sphere in general and education in particular. Therefore, the expansion of options for its implementation is an important factor in achieving the country’s goals, - said the Director of the Agency for the Development of Public-Private Partnerships under the Ministry of Finance Golib Kholjigitov. - At present, the government is pursuing a policy of increasing the interest of educational institutions in the qualitative performance of their functions and the creation of favorable conditions for independent work. PPP can be considered as part of the ongoing modernization of the sphere.
It was emphasized that the public-private partnership has many advantages:
1) the possibility of accelerating socio-economic development. Thanks to this, you can quickly implement promising projects through the attraction of private capital. At the same time, project management is improving.
2) reduction of expenses of the State budget and more rational use of centralized investments.
3) improving the quality of services through the creation of innovative technologies, methods and standards. All projects are carefully selected before implementation, taking into account the needs of the population, regional problems and future development programs of the territories.
4) stimulating a synergistic effect that helps minimize all risks. Both parties can redistribute responsibility.
5) reduction of corruption and illegal actions at all stages of project implementation.
PPP mechanisms in the field allow expanding the market for educational services, testing new organizational and legal forms of interaction between institutions and businesses, developing multi-channel financing tools and strengthening cooperation with employers. Their application also contributes to more active participation of business in the life of educational institutions.
Previously, the private sector was engaged only in charity, sponsorship, and now it is expanding its presence, including in managing educational institutions, improving their material and technical base, and is in direct contact with teams. This is an important component of measures to implement the social responsibility of companies. Therefore, it was noted at the meeting, PPP can become one of the main directions of financing the future development of educational institutions.
At the end of the negotiations, the Asian Development Bank agreed to provide grants for further study.